Friday, May 14, 2010

Showers

I'm afraid I've been a bit absent lately. I haven't been able to quite get back to normal after my grandfather's death.

But, while I haven't been posting, I have been reading. Reduce Footprints had a challenge last month about taking fewer showers. When I read it, I had to laugh.

Pre-kids, I was someone who had to take a shower every day. Now, I'm lucky if I get one every other day. Most of the time, it's every two days. It's not a conscious decision to save water, though that's something I try to do in other ways constantly. It's simply the result of being a full-time mom to two little kids who never want me out of their sight.

I certainly cherish my showers now. That blessed alone time under soothingly hot water. Finally washing off the dirt from the backyard, the Crayola marker my youngest has drawn all over my arm, the chocolate milk kiss I received on the back of my neck as I was bent over changing the other one's diaper.

I have to admit to a 10- to 15-minute shower. I know that's quite bad for an eco-conscious person. But I can't give them up. I just can't. I don't take baths; I reuse the kiddie pool water for my plants; I practice the "if it's yellow, let it mellow..." philosophy with the toilet; and I bottle the cold water that I have to wait through to get to the hot. I hope that makes up for my thrice-weekly indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment