Friday, March 12, 2010

Support Local Small Businesses

I just came across this post on Earth Promise. The idea is to pick 3 local businesses whose existence is important to you, then commit to spending $50 a month among those 3.

They make excellent points about shopping locally on EP that I'm sure I knew but somehow didn't really comprehend how far reaching the effects are. Here's a quote from Reclaim Democracy:

“It’s time to consider the real costs to a community that loses its local business base. Independent local businesses employ a wide array of supporting services. They hire architects, designers, cabinet shops, sign makers and contractors for construction. Opportunities grow for local accountants, insurance brokers, computer consultants, attorneys, advertising agencies and others to help run it. Local retailers and distributors also carry a higher percentage of locally-made goods than the chains, creating more jobs for local producers.”

I'm going to do my best to participate in this project. With money being super tight for us right now, it might not always be $50, but it'll be something. Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. Supporting local businesses is a big thing for my husband and me - love seeing you promote it here! We may not be able to do the 50 a month either except where it is already a part of our budget - like shopping for natural pet food from a locally owned pet supply store or doing our shopping at the local co-op and farms. These count too, especially when there really isn't any extra spending money in the budget.

    ReplyDelete